Thursday, October 13, 2011

1963 EDITION BOXING YEARBOOK

TRUE'S 1963 BOXING YEARBOOK REVIEW:  By Brian Zelley


The True Magazine wa published by Fawcett Publishing Inc
and the Boxing annual was edited by Lee Greene.  Contributing
writer were Bob Howard, Bill Libby, Steve Hughes, Barry Gottehrer,
Myron Cope, Jim Scott, Jack Zsnger, Mitch Brryand,  Charles Samuels
and the Brownsville Banger story by Jimmy Breslin (a 1961 reprint).

Some excellent articles included: 
.What Makes Carlos Fight, re. Carlos Ortiz
.Make Way For Skeeter, re. Wilbert McLure
..Emile Griffith Comes Fighting Back,
.Look Out World! here Comes Cassius,
.The Bitter end Of The Brownsville Banger, re. Georgie Small
.The Case Of the Reluctant Heavyweight, re. Eddie Machen
.Trouble Is A Guy Named Joey, re. Joey Giardello
.The champ with A chip On His Shoulder,  re. Harold Johnson
.They Never Called Him Champ re. Gene Tunney


OI all the stories, the Georgie Small story by Jimmy Breslin 
was a sad story about Georgie's life after the death of his 
friend Lavern Roach following their fight.  The standout 
line by Georgie Small to Jimmy was:  


"I wanted to be a fighter.  My whole life I wanted to be a fighter.
I want to get a whole gang of money.  And see what happened?
I'm broke and sick.  I got my wife broke  I ruined everything.
I guess the only thing  i ever did  in my whole life was kill a friend of mine."

1 comment:

  1. gr5 titanium - Tioga Art & Crafts
    gr5 titanium art and craftsmanship. Made in titanium frame glasses Sunderland. titanium hair clipper Available in Sunderland, titanium muffler England.€18.95 · titanium oxide ‎In stock westcott titanium scissors

    ReplyDelete